Today in this space we want to explain how you can grow carrots at home without the need for seeds and without a plot of land in a garden. We need a balcony or a terrace, some land and a lot of commitment and dedication.
You may not have too much space at home, it does not matter! With the following tips, you can enjoy your small garden where grow carrots, tomatoes, onions. And everything ecological!
Do not worry, because in the absence of home resources are always good wits, and not for that we have to give up not only to eat healthier but to enjoy the process of planting, growth, and harvest.
Learn how to grow carrots at home in a simple way
Advantages of growing carrots
- They can be sown or cultivated throughout the year.
- They do not usually need excessive care.
- They grow fast and offer good satisfaction, so it can be, without a doubt, a fun task to share with our children.
- Urban gardens are fashionable and, in recent years, they are able to relieve stress, entertain us and also offer good quality food based on organic farming.
- Carrots are rich in carotenes, that antioxidant that contains provitamin A so necessary for our general health.
- This vegetable contains an adequate supply of potassium, vitamin E and group B.
- The carrots of urban culture tend to be smaller, so they are ideal to combine in salads.
Take note now of what we must do to grow carrots without having to resort to seeds.
What I need
- 5 carrots
- A container or pot 30 cm deep and 50 cm long.
- Earth enriched with the ecological substrate (compost)
- Liquid fertilizer
How do I do it?
- The first thing we are going to do is take the carrots and cut the top part. When you go to use them to cook, just remember to reserve this part of the beginning of the vegetable instead of throwing it in the organic waste.
- Place the carrot stems in a container with water (see the image above). The idea is that they germinate, and they will do so after a few weeks.
- Once they have germinated, we can proceed to plant them in our pot.
- Remember to create adequate drainage in it, with small gravel stones.
- Carrots like the sun, so do not be afraid to leave the pot on the balcony all day.
- You can water them a little, but once or twice a week is enough. Remember to include in this water a few drops of liquid fertilizer. In this way, the carrots will grow strong and healthy.
How to know when we can harvest our carrots? Well, carrots take about two months to form.
Therefore, you only have to attend the plant itself and wait until it reaches a length of between 5 and 8 cm. It should be noted that sometimes, they do not have the typical elongated shape, but they can come out somewhat more bulging and with somewhat capricious volumes.
Do not hesitate to cultivate different varieties such as for example, purple carrots.