Are you looking for easy recipes to incorporate legumes into your whole family’s diet? Then you can not miss this delicious chickpea curry with basmati rice. It is a very nutritious, tasty and comforting dish, perfect to enjoy a cool night with the family.
Discover step by step below. We assure you that it is a simple and infallible recipe! Nobody can resist their particular flavor, not even your children!
Nutritional properties of the dish
Chickpeas are rich in proteins of vegetable origin, therefore they are highly valued in vegetarian diets. In addition, they are a source of soluble and insoluble fiber, calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, and potassium. As for the vitamins, they emphasize the E, the B, and the folates.
Rice, on the other hand, provides vitamin B3 and B6, in addition to proteins. The other main component of this recipe, curry, is famous for its antioxidant properties, as well as the anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric.
Chickpea curry step by step
Time needed: 40 minutes
- 400 gr. of cooked chickpeas
- 100 gr. of Basmati rice
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tomatoes
- water, quantity needed
- 2 butter spoons
- 10 gr. of fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 pods of green cardamom
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, optional, to taste
- Chop the onion in julienne. Reservation.
- Grate the tomatoes. Reservation.
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in a pan. When it is hot, add the onion. Cook until brown, over medium heat.
- Grate the garlic and incorporate it into the casserole.
- Add the grated ginger. When the garlic browns, it is time to incorporate the tomatoes.
- Add the mustard seeds to the mixture and stir.
- Once the liquids have evaporated, add the curry and chickpeas.
- Put 100 ml of water also in the pot and let it cook for 10 minutes. Salpimenta to taste.
- While preparing the chickpea curry, place a tablespoon of butter in another pot along with the cardamom and cloves. Let the spices be roasted a little, being careful not to burn them because they would acquire a bitter taste.
- Add the rice and water. The idea is to cover the rice, incorporating twice its volume in boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes over low heat or as long as the package indicates. Salpimenta.
- Serve the cooked rice and on it, the chickpea curry. You can sprinkle some fresh coriander on top.
Ideas to vary your chickpea curry
- You can add other vegetables to the chickpea curry to increase their nutritional value.
- If you wanted, you could add potatoes. In that case, we recommend you cut them into cubes of similar sizes so that their cooking is even. Add them after frying the onion and garlic.
- Another good option is to add spinach or carrots to the preparation. Thoroughly clean the spinach, chop the leaves and add them near the end of cooking, as they cook very quickly. As for the carrots, it is best to add them together with the chickpeas, cut into cubes or slices, so that they catch all the flavor of the dish.
- Is the taste of broccoli your taste? Also, add it to this recipe.
- To obtain an even creamier sauce, you can add coconut milk.
- Do you like spicy dishes? Try incorporating chili pepper curry. You will be surprised by its taste!
- Decorate with a slice of lemon and give diners the chance to add an acid touch to the dish.
The chickpea curry with Basmati rice is a vegetarian recipe that will make those who taste it fall in love. The texture of rice and chickpeas combine perfectly with curry and other spices. Do not forget the bread, because everyone will want to dip it in the sauce.